How was PDF born?
In the beginning…of the Internet, there were hundreds of different types of software to create documents. When Windows 3.1 rolled out in the early 1990’s it was already facing Apple (Mac at the time). If a Windows user created a document file and sent it to a Mac user the Mac user could not open it and the reverse applied. But to make the matter worse, each user, business etc. may have used a document creation program that no one else owned. The infant Cyber World was in chaos. But alas, the birth of a bright new star, ADOBE, they created the PDF, “PUBLIC DOCUMENT FORMAT”. At last a file format that anyone, on any computer system using any software could open, but HOW!? The following questions and answers will help. For future reference anytime you see a question and answer format on the Internet it is called a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions).
1) What software or program can I use to OPEN a PDF?
There are a lot of PDF READERS and you should never have to pay for one. We will focus on two.
1) Adobe PDF READER; is free and provided by Adobe. You can find it by using Google Search. But be very careful. In Google, Bing, Yahoo etc. evil companies lurk in the search results. A bad company like “Evil Trump” can pay to have his listing at the very top. So when doing a search please look carefully at the URL or address that is the link. Adobe is one of the hardest hit companies with viruses, malware and spyware. Their code is always being cracked. So Adobe is NOT my first choice.
2) Foxit PDF READER; this is the PDF READER to use. It is lightweight and has a clean interface. However again be careful when searching for it with Google Search. You want to download from www.mozilla.ORG. It is free.
2) What is the difference between PDF READERS and PDF CREATORS?
PDF READERS as noted in item #1 above are free and used to read and open PDF files. A PDF CREATOR is a VERY costly program used to create PDF’s from scratch. It is likely you will never need a PDF CREATOR.
3) I was told to upload a file in PDF format; don’t I need a PDF CREATOR to do that?
NO! PDF Creators as noted in #2 above are used to create PDF’s from scratch. You were asked to send a file in PDF format. The goal of the PDF is to allow anyone to convert one and anyone to open one. There are so many PDF conversion programs out there it is impossible to get two computer geeks to agree which is the best. We will cover a few.
1) If you have Microsoft WORD or OPENOFFICE you already have a free and excellent PDF convertor on your computer. If the file you have been asked to send has a .doc or .docx at the end open the document in Microsoft Word CLICK FILE TAB in upper left>CLICK SAVE AS> A new window opens. In that window you will see “SAVE AS TYPE” click the arrow on the right of that slot. In the drop down list choose PDF. Then SAVE. That file as now been converted to a PDF file and is in your DOCUMENTS folder.
2) If using Openoffice, follow the same steps above for Microsoft Word. There may be a few minor differences.
3) My favorite free PDF conversion software is DoPDFv7. I really love it because it has a few extra features. Goto www.snapfiles.com (it is a 100% safe site to get software). Click on the FREEWARE tab and then PRODUCTION and look through the list to find DoPDFv7. How it works. After you install it becomes a print option, the exact same as your physical printer. So you open the document or file in question. Then you CLICK FILE in the upper left>PRINT> Choose DoDPFv7 and hit PRINT. You will get a prompt window above saving options, please read and complete to personal settings. The new converted PDF is now in your DOCUMENTS FOLDER.
4) The last option is CutePDF. I do not like it because they have too many versions out and the good old free one is too hard to find and trust. But as I said other geeks drool over it.
So that’s it. A PDF is a universal file format that can be open and read on any computer. You only need a PDF READER such as ADOBE PDF READER or FOXIT READER. You do not need PDF CREATION software. You it is likely you already have PDF Conversion software built into WORD or OPENOFFICE.
If you are ever asked to pay for a PDF CONVERTOR you are being taken for a steal.